Sunday, March 7, 2010

Start Developin' Those Photos!

I can finally deem this week a successful week. I had my fair share of research this week, which was focused around photography. I then took to the streets twice (Friday and Sunday) for some real extensive photography sessions. I got a few really good shots, however I used another two rolls of film. I haven't really addressed the issue of efficiency of every frame I shoot, however I feel as if I'm going to do this project right, I will have to take over 200 pictures and pick the best twenty. While that seems like a waste, it is the best way to approach this because out of my hundreds of pictures will come a good amount that will having a lasting image on the viewer and answer guiding questions.

I read a couple of articles about street photography this week, which allowed me get in the mindset of a street photographer. While this is the main style I shoot with, I needed to remind myself of the very basics. Everything from camera to what you wear makes a huge difference. I own two cameras that I will use extensively during this project. One is my Olympus OM-4, which should be effective for more obvious "streetscapes". My other camera is a Yashica Autofocus, which is very quiet and doesn't require all of the attention my Olympus SLR does. The Yashica is just essentially point and shoot, which will give a very raw photo. I will use that for more on the street portraits, and will use that when I am being discrete, meaning I will not be looking through a viewfinder. This style is called "shooting from the hip". It gives a different perspective and feel that is much more raw than a staged photo.

While I have only scratched the surface of what is my focus project, I am happy to say that where I am is a great place. I'm starting to grow a level of comfort in Harlem that will allow me to venture deeper into it. So far I have only been to the main parts of it (125th, Frederick Douglas Drive, Malcolm X Boulevard). I feel as if my deeper and more interesting discoveries will be made in spots that I won't expect to look in. While I haven't had any "breathtaking" discoveries yet, I have met a few personal goals of mine, which make me feel really good about my progress.

What is frustrating is my inability to develop my film until Wednesday. I really wanted to show my progress photography wise with my class. What I really need to do is think of an efficient way of storing my negatives for the long term. I used to store my negatives in envelopes, but after a while they got dusty and scratched. I need to start buying plastic sleeves that will safely store my negatives until I get them professionally printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment