Monday, April 26, 2010

Creating the Book

As I wrap up field work, one thing that will be very crucial for me is how my book is presented. My book will make or break my final project grade, and therefore, I have dedicated the past week to really making sure that I have a proper layout when everything is wrapping up. I have decided to go the route of using one of iPhoto's premade books while designing pages in Photoshop. In order to do this, I have to design every page on a page by page basis and then import it into iPhoto. While this is very tedious, this will allow me the freedom to make the design whatever I desire. It will allow me to be able to play with font, picture placement, and text in a creative manner that can also effectively put my message out. I have decided already decided on fonts that I would use throughout the book. For bigger texts (titles of chapters, important quotes, etc.), I decided to go with "Arial Black" or "Elephant". Both of these fonts offer me a bold and clean type that I can play with creatively. For smaller text (such as quotes and titles of pieces) I decided to go with either Helvetica or Georgia. Both are very simple, yet clean and effective.

In terms of the other aspects of my project, I am progressing nicely. I have added a few more photographs to my portfolio which should be developed soon, as well a couple of interviews have been done. I got in contact with my mentor, who gave me some sound advice about my pictures. She said as I progress with my project, I should focus more on the people and "personalities" of Harlem rather than just the physical changes. She encouraged me to enhance my story telling while still maintaining my good eye and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment